Saturday 6 June 2015

Fathers Day Gifts

What do dads want for Father's Day?

As I begin to write this post another email notification on my phone pops up. This time it's from NotOnTheHighStreet.com and it is advertising some potential Fathers Day gift ideas. I've had lots of these recently. 

Card websites are bombarding me with promotions for personalised Fathers Day cards all containing cliché football, gardening or car designs. I don't understand the offside rule, I absolutely hate anything in the garden except the BBQ and my favourite thing about my car is the Bluetooth phone connectivity.

Then there's 'family friendly restaurants' offering dads the chance to "enjoy free pie & chips this Fathers Day". They're those chain restaurants that claim to be super family friendly because they have a folding table you can change your babies nappy on in the disabled toilet but to gain access you have to ask for the key which is weighed down by a tree stump size keyring. The menus are often covered in gravy and there could be a runaway roast potato that's fallen off the Carvery station and squashed into the carpet but atleast the coca cola is refillable.

Even the garden centre is cashing in on Fathers Day, suggesting a plant pot or vouchers towards a new fence would be the "perfect gift for dad".

Meanwhile for Mothers Day, mums get spa day deals, boxes of thorntons chocolates and bottles of wine. So why do dads get macho cards, cheap meals out and gardening vouchers?

I'll tell you why. Because men are simple. We just want an I love you in a card, the family together for a meal and something to keep us busy next weekend like a new shed to put up. And as much as I hate to admit it, I've become a typical dad. I can't wait until my first Fathers Day as a dad and the free refillable coca cola.

No comments:

Post a Comment